A school ERP software should take care of all matters that can be automated and help streamline the overall work. It should also help parents understand how their children are doing and allow them to communicate with the teachers easily.
However, most school authorities are unaware of what they need to check before they choose the correct education management software. In this post, we will look at some important features that the software should have.
Once you have read this post, you will know:
- What you need to do before you start searching for one
- What you need to check before finalising one
What to do before searching for school ERP software
Before you embark on the quest to find the right software, you need to:
- List down what you need from the software in the ideal scenario. Then break the points up into two: which are essential and which would be good to have but not that essential.
- Make a list of the things that are taking too much time at present and what type of time savings you are looking at from the solution. Understand which functions can be automated and made better.
- List the functions you want the software to have such as anytime access, real-time information, the type of reports you want, etc.
- Make a note of the features you want to provide teachers and parents. Do you want them to be able to communicate through the software?
What you need to check before finalising
The ERP software development process is quite complex and getting one built for yourself is not that cost-effective as compared to opting for one that is fully customised for you on an existing platform.
Think of this as buying a car for yourself. Getting one built specially for you from the ground-up will cost a lot of money while customising one that will be built on an existing chassis is a smart idea.
Here are the points you need to check when you are looking for a school management solution:
For the management
- Can you assign different user rights? And will each senior user level have the ability to check the junior level’s work?
- Does the software offer MIS reporting as well as analytical and graphical reports?
- Does it allow for a dynamic process flow with alerts, and email and SMS functionalities?
- How easy is it for people to use after they have understood it fully? One point is worth noting here. The best school ERP software will have some learning curve, and so it will take a few weeks to understand it fully.
- Does it give you the option to track the performance of teachers and children?
- Does it allow you to set up reminders?
For the teachers
- Does it allow for sharing of knowledge and seamless communication on a one-to-one or one-to-many basis?
- Can teachers manage the work of students and even assign homework through the software?
- How does it allow teachers to track and manage the performance of students?
- Does it reduce time spent on administrative work?
For the parents
- Do the parents have access to information on their children’s regular performance including annual performance?
- Can they communicate with the teachers and the administrative staff?
- Are they able to check the fees and payment schedules from the ERP solution?
- Can they apply for leaves for their children from their dashboards?
These are just some of the questions for which you must get answers before you to choose a software for a trial run. You can talk to an ERP solutions company and ask them about your requirements, deployment options, support services, billing model, etc.
Once you have your answers, you will be able to make a better decision on which ERP solution you want to buy for your school.